The origins of the Maldon Little Ship Club go back to the 1920s from the formation of the London Little Ship Club, formed in 1926.
By 1927 the idea of forming branches of the club was born, thus the Maldon branch was formed in June bearing the title of “Little Ship Club Maldon Branch”, latterly to become known as The Maldon Little Ship Club.
The Club acquired the current day premises, the old smithy on Hythe Quay, in 1951. By 1959 the premises were purchased with some minor covenants such as the building shall be used only as a sailing club.
Our aims are to promote the sport of sailing and the art of seamanship, encouraging our existing and new members to join in our sailing activities whether racing or cruising on the River Blackwater or further afield.
Centre to our club are our RYA accredited Courses and MLSC bespoke training. These range from Long and short DaySkipper courses and short Yachtmaster course, VHF radio and First Aid.
We have an active sailing and social programme and welcome new members who have an interest in the water and would either like to become actively involved. or via our crew wanted scheme.
There is a warm welcome waiting for members, their guests and visiting yachtsmen – access to temporary moorings on the tide or overnight is via the visitors pontoon on Hythe Quay which is suitable for shoal draft vessels which are able to take the ground.